Re: French probe nuclear rail shipments

Ing. A. Klerk wrote:

> The "normal" level (Meant is of course: the limit) is 3,7 or 4 Bq/cm2.
>
> Typically the French seemed not to carry out wipe tests. Neither did
> Greenpeace.....

In Germany, permitted levels (as from 1989) are: 0,05 Bq/cm2 for certain
alpha-emitters, 5 Bq/cm2 (about 1 nCi/square-inch, for the old-fashioned
guys 'n gals) for certain beta-emitters and electron capturers and 0,5
Bq/cm2 for all the rest. These numbers are valid for items that are
accessible for members of the general public. 10-fold higher numbers
apply for items that are to be handled in restricted areas only and
100-fold higher values for radiation areas. This is a bit simplified, of
course.

It's hard to believe that there should not have been wipe-tests
performed before exiting the radiation area. So we sure need some more
infos.

Greetings, Harald

--
Harald Weiss                 weiss@ki.comcity.de
Preetzer Strasse 263         Tel  +49 431 7859659