Re: Bacteria in Nuclear Reactors

A couple of additional comments: It is not the radiation level of the
coolant that would really matter in a nuclear reactor, but the fact
that the coolant passes through the core.  The core is the dominant
source of radiation by several orders of magnitude.

Second, in my experience bacteria is not chaecked for in primary
coolant for several reasons, including the harsh environment, the
purity of water used as primary coolant and the careful monitoring
of the chemistry of that coolant.  The only water were bacteria was
a concern at the plants I have worked at was the coolant that cycles
from the main condensers to the cooling towers and back.  We added
sulphuric acid to maintain the pH of this coolant and limit the
growth of bacteria.

Mike Baker ... mcbaker@lanl.gov