carcinogenic properties of dark matter

A friend from LLNL sent this to me.  I had no idea that dark matter was
carcinogenic.  And, in 8 years of geology education, I never really caught
on to the geologic effects of dark matter.  Apparently this is a preprint
from LANL.  I keep reminding myself that continental drift and relativity
were considered wacky at the time - if I'm being unduly sceptical about
this, please let me know either privately or publically.

Andy
Astrophysics, abstract
astro-ph/9805142

Double Mass Extinctions and the Volcanogenic Dark Matter Scenario

Authors: Samar Abbas, Afsar Abbas, Shukadev Mohanty
Comments: 11 pages, RevTeX, no figures
Subj-class: Astrophysics; Geophysics; Biological Physics

A few of the major mass extinctions of paleontology have recently been
found to consist of two distinct extinction peaks at higher resolution. A
viable explanation for this remains elusive. In this paper it is shown that
the recently proposed volcanogenic dark matter model can explain this
puzzling characteristic of these extinctions. The accumulation and
annihilation of dark matter in the center of the Earth due to the passage
of a clump leads to excess heat generation with the consequent ejection of
superplumes, followed by massive volcanism and attendant mass
extinctions. This is preceded by an extinction pulse due to carcinogenesis
arising from the direct interaction of the clumped dark matter with living
organisms.

The opinions expressed above are well-reasoned and insightful.  Needless to
say, they are not those of my employer. (with apologies to Michael Feldman)

Andrew Karam, MS, CHP					(614) 292-1284 (phone)
The Ohio State University 					(614) 292-7002 (fax)
Office of Radiation Safety					"The mind is not a vessel to
1314 Kinnear Road						be filled but a fire to be
Columbus, OH  43212						lighted." (Plutarch)
(karam.1@osu.edu)