RE: HEAST risk estimates

The risk calculated using the HEAST slope factors is the cancer
incidence over the lifetime of the exposed individual.  Your calculated
risk of 3.84 indicates that the individual is expected to have 3.84
cancers over their lifetime.  For large risk values ( greater that
0.01), the probability of incidence a cancer is calculated using the
one-hit risk equation: 1-exp(-risk).  For small risk values (less than
0.01), the probability of incidence a cancer is approximately equal to
the calculated risk.  When a calculated risk exceeds 1, the cancer
incidence may be unimportant compared to acute effects and the dose
should be calculated to put this in perspective.

Carl Efird