Radiation preparedness exercises

Radsafers,

We have just finished a radiation emergency preparedness exercise in which about 50 people took part. Briefly, we used a scenario that involved the hypothetic release of nuclear material to the air which then was transported by the winds for deposition in the exercise area. We used pre-programmed radiation detection simulators that relied on GPS-technology to indicate a dose rate level which is dependent on time and position. Different teams reported their values to a central command and also took air, ground, grass and water samples that upon arrival to our laboratory were manipulated by the exercise leader to give realistic deposition values.

To further develop our concept I would like to get in touch with other groups and laboratories who regularly perform exercises of this type.

________
| |