Re: U-238 in Groundwater

At 09:30 15.05.98 -0500, you wrote:
>You might look up the EPA proposed rule for their National Primary Drinking
>Water standards for radionuclides (56 FR 33050, dated 7/18/91).  They propose
>a 20 microgram/liter limit for total uranium, which they equate to a total
>uranium activity concentration of 30 pCi/L.

This is a proposal only. To my knowledge no country has until now fixed any
maximum contaminant levels. Keep also in mind that uranium is much more
chemically toxic than it is radiotoxic.

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
Federal Institute for Food Control and Research
Department for Radiochemistry and Radioactivity of Food
Kinderspitalg. 15
A-1095 Vienna
AUSTRIA
tel.: +43-1-40491-520