Re: Chernobyl

At 13:15 14.05.98 -0500, you wrote:
>Does anyone know of any reliable summary data for Chernobyl?  For
>instance,  how many total curies were released,  how many square miles
>have been contaminated,  what's the maximum distance of contamination,
>what is the contamination levels in pCi/g of soil at selected distances
>from the plant?  For the sake of this discussion lets define
>"contamination" as anything above typical risk-dose-based US cleanup
>standards.

Phil,

The IAEA has published in 1991 a very comprehensive "Technical Report" with
the title "The International Chernobyl Project", Assessment of radiological
consequences and evaluation of protective measures, Report by an
International Advisory Committee. The ISBN is 92-0-129191-4. There is also
"An Overview" of this project available, ISBN 92-0-129091-8. If more
information is needed, please contact me.

There was a conference about "10 Years Chernobyl" organized by the IAEA and
there have been proceedings published as far as I remember.

I think that these two publications are the most reliable ones.

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
Federal Institute for Food Control and Research
Department for Radiochemistry and Radioactivity of Food
Kinderspitalg. 15
A-1095 Vienna
AUSTRIA
tel.: +43-1-40491-520