Radiation doses from coal

Thank you all who so far responded to my question about radioactivity in
coal. I have looked at the link below and notice that on page 4
(approx.) where the total contents (uranium & thorium) are given, the
word "releases" is used: Given 1 ppm, the world release of uranium must
be something like 5000 tons annually (present rate which is increasing).
But is all this really released - it sounds like this all goes up into
the air? How much ends up in ashes etc (Thank you Alex for the "Chinese
consideration"? What is trapped in ashes could perhaps be seen as less
risk relevant. Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Bjorn_Cedervall@hotmail.com

http://www.ornl.gov/ORNLReview/rev26-34/text/colmain.html