Re: Radiation doses from coal

	The uranium and its decay products trapped in ashes still serves
as a source of radon emissions, and eventually there is a calculable
chance that houses will be built over them and consequently have high
radon levels. This is by far the most important radiological impact of
coal burning, eventually causing 30 deaths per GWe-year, as shown in my
paper in Health Physics 40:19ff;1981. Of course all considerations of
health impacts due to radioactivity from coal burning are based on the
linear-no threshold theory, and if that theory goes at low dose, there are
no effects.

Bernard L. Cohen
Physics Dept.
University of Pittsburgh