Re: lead apron thicknesses

>This seemed to be the community standard 10 years ago, with certain
>standards (e.g. Webster's conversion from neck and waist film badge
>readings to effective dose equivalent, Health Physics 56:568-569; 1989)
>built on the assumption of a 0.5 mm apron.

There has been a follow-up to the above referenced document, published as
Correspondence, Letter to the Editor, Health Physics Society Journal, 0017-
9078/94, 1994, by Marvin Rosenstein and Edward Webster. The title of the
article is Effective Dose to Personnel Wearing Protective Aprons During
Fluoroscopy and Interventional Radiology.

"The data is for aprons with 0.3 and 0.5 mm Pb. In the Table 2, Empirical
formula and estimatesr effective dose (e) using two film badges and the
conversion factors of Faulkner and Marshall (1993), apron present, over-table
and under-table x-ray tubes, the following conclusions are presented:
Over the stated range of conditions, the estimates range between 0.98 to 1.84
E for 0.5-mm lead aprons and between 1.13 to 1.89 E for 0.3-mm lead aprons.
Our criteria for a desired formula are met. The sole underestimate is 0.98 ; the
largest overestimate is 1.89 E. The estimate for the most frequently
encountered combination (i.e., 90 kVp, 0.5-mm lead apron, under-table x-ray
tube) is 0.98 E.

Use of the formula would be a simple and practical way to monitor E when both
film badges are worn."

------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director
ICN Dosimetry Division
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Office: (800) 548-5100 x2306
Fax:    (714) 668-3111

sandyfl@earthlink.net
sperle@icnpharm.com

ICN Dosimetry Website:
http://www.dosimetry.com

Personal Website:

              - G. K. Chesterton -

The opinions expressed are solely, absolutely, positively, definitely those of the author, and NOT my employer