Re: Gam Address & Healthy survivor effect -Reply

On Thu, 21 May 1998 FRAMEP@ORAU.GOV wrote:

>  because we would all prefer that
> exposures to radiation be harmless,  there is a tendency to automatically
> dismiss studies/evidence that suggest the existence of detrimental
> effects, and automatically accept any evidence that indicates the
> opposite.  i.e. we believe what we want to believe.

	--I certainly do not agree with this. Scientists are always
looking for effects, and are generally disappointed if they find no
effect. Once effects are found, others are more likely to report
confirmatory evidence than evidence of no effect. They assume that the
latter type evidence means that they didn't do careful work.
	In my long career, I have had much more difficulty with journal
referees when I report evidence contrary to what is expected, than when I
report evidence confirming what is expected.
IF A SCIENTIST BELIEVES WHAT HE WANTS TO BELIEVE RATHER THAN WHAT THE DATA
TELLS HIM, HE IS NOT ACTING AS A SCIENTIST.