Re: Gam Address & Healthy survivor effect -Reply

In a message dated 98-05-21 12:59:17 EDT, B. Cohen writes:

<< --I certainly do not agree with this. Scientists are always
 looking for effects, and are generally disappointed if they find no
 effect. Once effects are found, others are more likely to report
 confirmatory evidence than evidence of no effect. They assume that the
 latter type evidence means that they didn't do careful work.
 	In my long career, I have had much more difficulty with journal
 referees when I report evidence contrary to what is expected, than when I
 report evidence confirming what is expected.
 IF A SCIENTIST BELIEVES WHAT HE WANTS TO BELIEVE RATHER THAN WHAT THE DATA
 TELLS HIM, HE IS NOT ACTING AS A SCIENTIST.  >>

There is a wonderful quote on just this point made by the Russian author
Tolstoy one hundred years ago:

"I know that most men - not only those considered clever, but even those who
are clever and capable of understanding the most difficult scientific,
mathematical, or philosophic problems - can seldom discern even the simplest
and most obvious truth if it be such as obligers them to admit the falsity of
conclusions they have formed, perhaps with much difficulty - conclusions of
which they are proud, which they have taught to others, and on which they have
built their lives."
                                       - Leo Tolstoy, 1898

While we're on the subject of quotes from Russian authors, I'm reminded of
another wonderful quote made by Marx (Chico not Karl, however) which applies
to many situations of "scientists" reach conclusions or  make statements based
as it were on  scientific dogma not on an honest consideration of all  the
facts of a given situation:

"Do you believe what I'm telling you or what you see with your own eyes?"

Stewart Farber, MS Public Health
Director - Radium Experiment Assessment Project
Consulting Scientist
Public Health Sciences
19 Stuart St.
Pawtucket, RI 02860