Bias

Paul Frame wrote:

How many times has a report appeared on RADSAFE of a study
indicating harmful effects of radiation (or electric fields) at low doses
that was not followed by any number of criticisms from people who had
not seen the study.  All that is often needed to dismiss a study seems to
be the name of one of the authors.

While this is true, I believe most in this community who make such
comments have seen numerous scientific studies and reports which
have over time shaped their beliefs in effects at low doses.
Perhaps one shouldn't dismiss results based on past history and
shaky credentials and obviously fixed agendae, but whenever a
scientist in this field goes out of his way to "be fair" to an
extreme with the anti-ionizing community, it may be interpreted
as giving creedence to their claims.  To an outsider, they
are obviously correct since our statements are so easily
dismissed and we can't seem to completely discredit theirs!

As far as the health physics community as a whole being fixed
in its mindset about effects at low doses, I don't believe
it has been that long that the concensus has been zero or
even hormetic effects at "low" doses.  This community's
understanding has developed precisely as it should have,
through thorough incremental investigation.

I apologize for the mess - this is a tricky program I'm working with.

John D. Lowe, MS, CHP
VA North Texas HCS
lowe.john_d@forum.va.gov