Re: Gam Address & Healthy survivor effect

Subj:	Fwd: Bias (aka Gam Address & Healthy survivor effect)
Date:	05/21/98
To:	radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu

This is not exactly the "common ground" I recommend we seek, but change "anti"
to "pro" in Mr. Lowe's message and, then, reread Ms.  Berger's and Mr.
Kniffin's messages.  Perhaps, RADSAFErs really have more in common with their
so-called opponents than both groups might think.

Please remember:  "5 is more than 4" is fact; "5 is better than 4" is opinion.

<<From:  Paul Frame, FRAMEP@ORAU.GOV
Date: 98-05-21 14:58:34 EDT

<< How many times has a report appeared on RADSAFE of a study indicating
harmful effects of radiation (or electric fields) at low doses that was not
followed by any number of criticisms from people who had not seen the study.
All that is often needed to dismiss a study seems to be the name of one of the
authors. >>

<< From: John Lowe, LOWE.JOHN_D@FORUM.VA.GOV
Date: 98-05-21 16:23:27 EDT

<< While this is true, I believe most in this community who make such comments
have seen numerous scientific studies and reports which have over time shaped
their beliefs in effects at low doses.  Perhaps one shouldn't dismiss results
based on past history and shaky credentials and obviously fixed agendae, but
whenever a scientist in this field goes out of his way to "be fair" to an
extreme with the anti-ionizing community, it may be interpreted as giving
creedence to their claims.  To an outsider, they are obviously correct since
our statements are so easily dismissed and we can't seem to completely
discredit theirs! >>

<<From:	BergerIEM@aol.com (BergerIEM)
Date:	98-05-22 07:22:14 EDT

On a "slightly related" note to Dr. Cohen's comment, it reminded me of a book
that Brian Kelly loaned me a couple of months ago.  The title was "How to Lie
Using Statistics".  Interesting advice therein.

Carol D. Berger
Integrated Environmental Management, Inc.
(301) 762-0502
CDBerger@IEM-Inc.com>>

<<From:	Scott.D.Kniffin.1@gsfc.nasa.gov (Scott D. Kniffin)
Date:	98-05-22 09:21:14 EDT

When I gave the brief statistics review for the reactor lab I taught back in
college, I opened with one of my favorite quotes attibuted to Mark Twain:
There are three kinds of lies:
Lies,
Damned lies,
and Statistics

Kinda says it all, no?

Scott Kniffin
RSO, Unisys Corp. @ Lanham, MD
CHO, Radiation Effects Facility, GSFC, NASA, Greenbelt, MD>>