Re: "Gamma Rays of Doom"

Further information about neutron star mergers from my friendly
neighborhood astronomer.  They are rare (perhaps in our galaxy every 500
million years or so, give or take a hundred million years) and release from
100 to 1000 times the energy of a supernova (up to about 10^53 ergs).  A
supernova will release nearly as much energy as the entire rest of its host
galaxy, so a neutron star merger will be bright.  Using the same
relationship as before, a neutron star merger at a distance of about 3000
light years would give a dose up to about 900 rads (9 Gy).  I still don't
know about the muon dose.  Pu-244 is formed during supernovae and is
considered an extinct radionuclide; I don't know that it would be formed
during a neutron star merger, although simpler nuclides probably would be.

The opinions expressed above are well-reasoned and insightful.  Needless to
say, they are not those of my employer. (with apologies to Michael Feldman)

Andrew Karam, MS, CHP					(614) 292-1284 (phone)
The Ohio State University 					(614) 292-7002 (fax)
Office of Radiation Safety					"The mind is not a vessel to
1314 Kinnear Road						be filled but a fire to be
Columbus, OH  43212						lighted." (Plutarch)
(karam.1@osu.edu)