RE: Gallileo space craft and RTG

You are correct, Galileo had 2 RTG's approximately at 135,000 Ci ea. Pu-238.
I was part of the Health Physics Staff that rendered care and feeding
(a.k.a. daily support) while being prepared for launch including contingency
planning during launch.  We did the same for the Ulysses mission and our
latest Cassini.

Galileo was launched in early October, 1989 on Shuttle Atlantis, STS-34.
There were a total of 18 experiments to be conducted on the Galileo orbiter
and probe.  You should check the NASA /JPL website for additional
information.

Theresa (Teri) M. Rutherford, RRPT
Environmental Health Engineer-
Respiratory Protection Program Administrator
EG&G Florida, Inc., E300/BOC-022
Kennedy Space Center, FL
Ph.: 867-9014/Fax: 867-3694
Theresa.Rutherford-1@ksc.nasa.gov