RE: Gallileo space craft and RTG

Galileo was indeed powered by RTG and was launched in October 1989.  The
following web address has a detailed discussion of the specific sources
for Galileo:

http://galileo.ivv.nasa.gov/RTG.html

I remember the launch of the shuttle that carried Galileo being quite
the media event due to the fear expressed by many of the perceived
consequences if an accident occurred, although Galileo certainly wasn't
the first spacecraft to use RTGs.

Good luck.

Philip

Philip C. Fulmer, PhD, CHP