Re: atmospheric nuclear 'events'

Just a little historical reminder: China briefly invaided India, took some
land in the north and promply abandoned it not that long ago.  At the time
India considered China its ALLY.  Kashmir, the almost continuously
fought-over province in the north shares a border with China.  How many
nukes does China have?  They could very eaisly be drawn into a conflict and
this might lead to an extended exchange.

Just some more rambling,

Scott Kniffin

mailto:Scott.D.Kniffin.1@gsfc.nasa.gov
RSO, Unisys Corp. @ Lanham, MD
CHO, Radiation Effects Facility, GSFC, NASA, Greenbelt, MD

The opinions expressed here are my own.  They do not necessarily represent
the views of Unisys Corporation or NASA.  This information has not been
reviewed by my employer or supervisor.

At 09:08 06/01/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Les Slaback wrote:
>> Does anyone have an estimate of the Asian nuclear inventory in
comparision to the inventory of atmospheric experience we already have?
The U.S. and the old U.S.S.R. set off some pretty big weapons before it all
went underground.  Is there a reason why this experience is not relevent?

>In a private mail, somebody mentioned an intelligence estimate of 100
devices on the subcontinent.  The experience is relevant, unless we throw
in multi-megaton surface or near surface bursts.  As I said earlier, the
firestorms in target cities will cause some atmospheric effects but it