Another thing to make me scream

Hi all,

As I was setting my VCR this morning, I saw something rather upsetting.
The spot was a PSA for the International (somthing) of the Ocean on TNT.
(Fonda haters, here it comes.)  The location was a school classroom (maybe
2nd grade) of maybe 15-20 kids and the teacher is holding up big flash
cards.  The one in hand shows a leaking drum with a SKULL and CROSSBONES
and she asks the kids what this is, they reply in unison: Nuclear Waste!
She asks where this comes from the answer was muddled and I couldn't make
it out exactly but nuke plants sounded like the response. (I was basicly in
shock.)  She then holds up a card with fish on it and asks what this is.
One or two kids ask: Is it a fish?  Teacher: That's right, where do these
come from?  The only response I heard clearly was: Didn't they live with
the dinosaurs?  Then the announcer comes on with some blurb about the
International (something) of the Ocean, "Make it worth something."
The funny/awful thing about the kids was that they didn't look all that
'international.'  The few minorities represented had that uncomfortable
"token" feel.  It's not often you see something that's wrong, racist and an
unbelievable slam on American education in less than 30 seconds.  My
expression after seeing this could only be compared to Edvard Munch's 'The
Scream.'
Oh, incidently, in case you're wondering what a good nuke lover like me is
doing watching TNT, it's only because that blood sucking lower than pond
scum husband of hers picked up my favorite show (Babylon 5) when it got
axed from regular TV.  I invested 4 years in an incredibly complex and
nearly flawlessly interwoven story, second in confusion only to the
X-Files; I HAVE to know how it ends!

Scott Kniffin

mailto:Scott.D.Kniffin.1@gsfc.nasa.gov
RSO, Unisys Corp. @ Lanham, MD
CHO, Radiation Effects Facility, GSFC, NASA, Greenbelt, MD

The opinions expressed here are my own.  They do not necessarily represent
the views of Unisys Corporation or NASA.  This information has not been
reviewed by my employer or supervisor.