Re: Negative Media Coverage

Greetings,

More about RAM on passenger planes.  In 1992 when I was head of NYC's
radiation control program a TWA plane crashed on takeoff and burned (no one
was injured luckily) at JFK.  The fire was so intense that it melted the
stainless steel sinks in the lavatories.  On board in the cargo hold were 3
technetium generators which were recovered "relatively" intact - pretty
mangled and charred, but no apparent release of RAM or external contamination.
In all the media coverage, there was merely a passing mention of the RAM being
on board.  Bottom line is I think RAM are transported safely posing no risk
whatsoever to anyone on board.  Sorry, preaching to the choir!

This type of behavior (of Nader and Nader types) brings to mind some proposed
legislation by the New York City Council a few years back that would limit
local delivery of radiopharmaceuticals and other RAM in NYC to daylight hours.
Needless to say, that did not pass once people were educated to the fact that
between 3 and 5 AM when most hospital deliveries occur there is virtually no
traffic on city streets thereby greatly reducing the likelihood of an accident
involving other vehicles or pedestrians.

It is my personal opinion that education can work with most people (granted
there are a few who will oppose something regardless of any arguments
presented), but that it takes time and patience.

Bob Kulikowski
Rrk099@aol.com