Re: The Truman Show -Reply

Todd --

I hope that you're right ... and your point is well taken
... it WAS pretty unbelievable to the point of being
VERY funny ... but I'm not sure that my opinion was
shared by most of the folks in the movie. Maybe I'm
overly pessimistic ...

Jim

>>> Todd Maxwell <toddmax@scripps.edu>
06/08/98 16:16 >>>
Am I the only one who actually watched the whole
movie?  I think one of the
points they were trying to make is that actors don't
portray real life with
any validity.  Didn't you see the scene where
Truman forces his way into the
operating room and the poor actor (surgeon) has no
idea how to even fake
like he's performing an amputation.  Exactly like the
actors (policemen and
nuclear plant workers) didn't know how to make it
look real.  It didn't fool
Truman.  I doubt it fooled the audience either.

Just one more event in Truman's life that was so
unbelievably fake, he knew
it wasn't real.  That's why he was willing to run into
the forest.  He knew
that the nuclear scare was ridiculous and had to be
part of the ruse.

I'm hoping it will show people how silly and
unbelievable the whole idea
was.  Furthermore, I hope they take away from this
scene that hollywood
writers often come up with hairbrained storylines
like nuclear emergencies
that just never seem believable.

With great power...

Todd Maxwell, RRPT