Re: Calibration of a source

> Date:          Sun, 7 Jun 1998 08:59:22 -0500 (CDT)
> From:          FOttino@aol.com
> To:            Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject:       Re:  Calibration of a source

> Peter,
>
> Call your Radiation Therapy department and ask to talk to a Physicist.  All
> Rad Therapy accelerator calibrations are based on chambers with NIST(National
> Institute of Standards and Technology, formerly NBS) traceable calibrations
> from an accredited laboratory.  The Medical Physicist will have such a chamber
> and will be able to take an exposure measurement which can be use to calculate
> the Co-60 source activity.
>
> Frank

You can determine the sources output using a transfer standard, given
its physical configuration and the geometry of the calibration
facility, but without some mathematical guess work, I don't think you
can get a better than " for all practical purposes" estimate of the
activity.
<>    Charles R. (Russ) Meyer                  <>
<> Email:charles.meyer@tdh.state.tx.us
<>     Phone:(512)834-6688                       <>
<>        Fax:(512)834-6654                        <>