RE: Low energy x-ray (8 kev) survey meter

The only thing I would add to Ted's very clear synopsis is that for a
mixed use x-ray facility (e.g., all sorts of critters, plus some EMs),
it is often useful to use a scintillator for a quick and dirty survey to
find any stray leaks.  Then use a pancake GM to locate the leaks (the
scintillator will generally saturate long before you can do more than
generalize the area).  Then one can use an ion chamber to quantify the
leak (if needed).

Wes

Wesley M. Dunn, CHP, Director, Environmental Health & Safety
International Isotopes, Inc.
3100 Jim Christal Road
Denton, Texas  76207
Wdunn@intiso.com <mailto:Wdunn@intiso.com>