Re: Leukemia in the news

Mr. Baker,

It's plain that Mr. Ith's ariticle conflicts with the health physics
orthodoxy, and many in the health physics community have a low opinion of
journalists as a group, but other than that what exactly is the problem?

Is it the source of Mr. Ith's information?  Mr. Ith cited information from the
Leukemia Society of America (LSA) which cited a peer-reviewed article
published by the National Institutes of Health (NIH).  As far as I know, these
are both reputable and credible sources for information on cancer and
associated environmental factors.  "Health Physics" (the official journal of
the Health Physics Society) is full of articles which cite other sources of
information with no more pedigree than Mr. Ith's cite.

Is it Mr. Ith's failure to critically review the secondary reference, i.e.,
the NIH ariticle?  Mr. Ith reported the position of the LSA, a national public
health organization.  The LSA position was supported by the NIH peer-reviewed
article.  Mr. Ith is no more obligated to review the NIH article than a health
physicist is required to review the references in a National Council on
Radiation Protection position paper.  Though, in both cases, it would be a
good idea.

Is it the substance of Mr. Ith's article that the NIH article concludes that
previous studies underreported cancer incidence near the Three Mile Island
nuclear plant?  If so, then take that up with the LSA or NIH or Mr. Steven
Wing, the author of the NIH article.  It's your right to complain to the
Seattle Times, but let's not blame the messenger (whatever your opinion of his
profession) when it's the message to which you object.

Of course, before you complain to anyone Mr. Ith's article, perhaps, you would
be well-advised to actually read the NIH article first.

Glenn
gacmail98@aol.com

Subj:	 Re: Leukemia in the news -Reply - Forwarded