Re[2]: Journals use of Wing et al "study"

Well since you want to,know what the rest of us think, here is my view:  I do
check references if they appear to be important to the author's conclusions, and
if I can obtain them.  Also, by default, reference to a refereed journal I
usually consider to be reliable, even though I review for several journals and I
know that junk gets published (even in SCIENCE!). Citations of agency position
papers, National Lab reports, and other "gray" literature are less reliable and
I don't put much stock in them unless I am familiar with them (chalk that one up
to academic snobbery).

Journalism is another story.  To the best of my knowledge, even a good
journalist will only claim to quote reliably but will make no claim as to the
veracity or reliability of what his or her source is saying. Having myself been
misquoted and quoted out of context I just don't put much stock in what
newspapers claim unless they can cite good documentation.

Clearly only my own opinion.

Ruth Weiner
Sandia National Laboratories
rfweine@sandia.gov