Re: NRC oks restart of Connecticut nuclear power plant

Our local (NY CD#1) Congressman, Michael Forbes, who with Senator D'Amato
has come out against the restart of Brookhaven's HFBR, has mounted a
vociferous campaign against the Millstone restart, arguing that there is no
evacuation plan for those LI North Fork communities which are within 15
(but beyond 10) miles from Millstone.
Andy Hull
EHSS-BNL
Upton,NY  11973
Ph  516-344-4210
Fax 516-344-3105
e-mail: Hull@mail.sep.bnl.gov

At 09:49 PM 6/15/98 -0500, you wrote:
>This is good news for the nuclear industry and the customers of NEU. It is
>apparent to the NRC Commissioners that the Millstone Plant can be run
safely,
>and that the steps taken by the utility, moreso by the many hard working
>employees, will lead to an efficiently run plant that will not adversely
affect the
>health, safety and welfare of the employees and those living in areas
>surrounding the plant. I have been very critical of utility management in
the
>past. However, when a company does take the necessary steps to turn around
>a flawed system, they should be commended.
>=============
>
>WASHINGTON, June 15 (Reuters) - The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission
>approved Monday the restart of the Unit 3 reactor at Northeast Utilities'
>troubled Millstone nuclear power plant in Waterford, Connecticut.
>
>The plant, closed two years ago for a variety of safety problems, has been
>described by critics as the worst nuclear fiasco in the United States
>since the Three Mile Island plant mishap in Pennsylvania back in 1979.
>
>However, the NRC's commissioners said they agreed with the earlier
>conclusions from agency staff that Northeast has made
>improvements for safely operating the plant.
>
>``This is certainly goods news,'' said Bruce Kenyon, president of
>Northeast's nuclear operations. ``We have undergone the most extensive,
>exhaustive and unprecedented regulatory inspection process in the history
>of nuclear power,'' he said.
>
>Still, the commissioners said they wanted an independent consulting firm
>to stay on and continue reviewing operations at the plant to ensure the
>facility will be run properly.
>
>The agency's approval does not mean the plant will resume operations
>immediately. Capacity at Unit 3 will now be increased slowly in several
>stages to make sure the reactor is in tip-top shape.
>
>If there are no snags, Northeast has said it could bring the reactor back
>to full capacity in as little as three-and-a-half weeks.
>
>That still would not be enough time to beat a July 1 deadline set by
>Connecticut utility regulators for Millstone's 1,150-megawatt Unit 3 to be
>running at full capacity, or it will be pulled from the company's rate
>base.
>
>If that happens, the revenue requirements of Northeast subsidiary
>Connecticut Light & Power would be cut by $13.2 million a month, or $158.5
>million a year.
>
>Two other nuclear reactors remain closed at the Millstone plant because of
>safety problems, but Northeast hopes to get NRC approval later this year
>to restart the facility's Unit 3. To make up for Millstone's lost
>capacity, Northeast has been spending about $28 million per month on
>replacement power.
>
>Last December, the NRC imposed a record $2.1 million fine against
> [...]
those of the author, and NOT my employer