Follow-up RFI on Pb-210 Contaminant

Thanks to all who responded to my query regarding elevated Pb-210 in lead
shielding products.

However, I should have been more clear.  I am not so much interested in any
specific event, as I am in the mechanisms resulting in such events.  That
is, I have heard that it is not uncommon to find elevated Pb-210
concentrations in tin-lead alloys.  I have also heard that some smelters
must routinely dispose of their residues as LLW.  Unfortunately, all of my
information is second hand.  Further, NCRPs 93 and 118 both indicate that
lead and/or zinc smelters may be potential sources of exposure - Why?

Given these 'facts' (and I use the term loosely for now):

1.  Are there any standard radiation protections practices for lead and
zinc smelters?

2.  Why don't we routinely see elevated Pb-210 concentrations in shielding
materials?

If anyone can shed light on this for me it would be greatly appreciated.
You can reply to me directly if you wish, or to RADSAFE if you think the
information is of general interest.

Thanks again,

Shane Brightwell

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~