Re: Decommissioning Training Course

Dear Shane,

Thanks for your inquiry.  ANL is offering a one week Decommissioning
Training Course on the "D&D of
Research Reactors & Other Small Nuclear Facilities" that is based on our
experiences in the decommissioning of 6 nuclear facilities over the last 15
years.  This course is a condensed and 'slightly' modified version of a
3-week long TC we developed for the International Atomic Energy Agency
(IAEA) on decommissioning of research reactors and other small nuclear
facilities.  In addition to these extensive operational decommissioning
experiences,
 we have been involved in numerous other national and international
decommissioning
 activities related to standards development, technology development, technical
information exchange activities, and supporting expert missions for the IAEA
on decommissioning planning and strategic reviews.

The TC dates are August 3-7, 1998 and the TC will be held here at the ANL
East site located 25 miles SW of Chicago, IL.  The course is intended to
serve as both an introduction to the basics of each phase of the
decommissioning process.  We will present techical lectures on various
aspects of decommissioning (decomm strategies, US decomm experience,
Characterization, decontamination, dismantling, preparation of the decomm
plan, etc), case studies on completed research reactor & other small nuclear
facility decommissioning projects emphasizing the lessons learned aspect of
each project and will present some non-ANL case studies. If you would like
to see a syllabus, let me know and I will be glad to fax a copy of one to
you.  We are trying to keep the registration fee at a very reasonable level
to allow for maximal participation by all interested parties from
universities, consulting/engineering firms, and DOE and DOE contractors. If you
are interested in the TC, please send me either an e-mail or a fax so I can
direct
 you to the proper home page with full details.  For your information,
attached to
 this e-mail is a MS Word copy of the course syllabus.  Please let me know
if you have
 other questions/looking forward to your attending,

                        Larry Boing

PS If you know of someone else who might be interested in this TC, by all
    means, please let them know about the TC.  Also, if you know of another
   conduit to let others know of the TC (like another server or specialty
   newsletter) that it might be of interest to please let me know so I can get
   it to them as well.

At 03:11 PM 6/18/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Larry,
>
>Please forward me your information on the D&D course.

LB112.DOC

Lawrence E. Boing
Manager, Special Projects Department
Decommissioning Program