Re: Laser Eye Exam

The question was:
>>For those individuals who also function as the Laser Safety Officer.
>>What type of medical exam is required at your facility as a baseline for
>>laser users ?

We have Laser Eye Surveillance Program here at UC Davis. You are right
Rick, its more of a liability issue than a safety issue.
The exam goes something like this:

An ocular history is taken and the visual acuity test is administered.  The
eyes are also checked for color vision and macular function.
If ocular function is determined not to be normal, a more detailed exam
maybe necessary.
The eye exam is given by our Occupational Medicine Unit, the department is
billed 25 dollars per exam.  The facility and students seem responsive to
the eye exam. So far there has been no reported eye injury due to a laser
incident.

Hope this helps.

Robert L. Sarason
EH&S TB