shipping of radmat in overpacks

I'm looking for information on shipments of radioactive material made in a package, in an overpack.  Especially info on rad reading and labeling.  My understanding, IAW DOT memo dated 2-09-94, is that the measurements taken on the surface of the overpack, in conjunction with a 1 meter, from the overpack, TI reading determins labeling of the overpack.

Has this changed since the 49CFR update, or is this still a correct assumption.

Larry Krisanits
Health Physics Coordinator
Texas A & M University
Nuclear Science Center