Re: British Radioactive Pollution

OK, last message (poster just finished for Obninsk...) before
I leave: The measurements - the original report is probably
from Norway. I assume that the measurements are OK but the
selection and context may not reflect the original report.

It seems to be the usual type of mass medial fallout here:
Only Bq or half-life data but no dose context (we call this
"becquerel gymnastics" here).

My own ideas again..., bjorn_cedervall@hotmail.com
Stockholm, Sweden

>Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 19:35:51 -0500 (CDT)
>From: Muckerheide <muckerheide@mediaone.net>
>To: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
>Subject: Re: British Radioactive Pollution
>
>GACMail98@aol.com wrote:
>
>> BRITISH RADIOACTIVE POLLUTION CONTAMINATES NORDIC COASTS; GREENPEACE
>> CALLS FOR END TO SELLAFIELD DISCHARGES
>> (http://www.greenpeace.org/pressreleases/nucreprocess/1998jun16.html)
>
>It would be appreciated if anyone would forward to the list any
statement on
>this dishonesty, on the measurements, and/or on discharges.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Regards, Jim Muckerheide
>muckerheide@mediaone.net
>========================

>> Amsterdam -- Greenpeace today released new data documenting soaring
>> increases
>> in radioactive contamination of the Danish, Norwegian and Swedish
>> coasts from the UK's Sellafield plutonium factories.
>>
>> Greenpeace has warned that unless Nordic governments take decisive
>> action,
>> levels of radioactive pollution will skyrocket as the UK government
is
>> poised
>> to grant new authorisations permitting the discharge of thirty
billion
>> litres of nuclear waste from Sellafield over next decade.
>>
>> The new data is based on seaweed samples collected by Greenpeace on
>> the coasts
>> of Sweden, Norway and Denmark. The seaweed was analysed by the
>> University of
>> Southampton (UK) for contamination by Technetium-99 - a radioactive
>> isotope
>> released by plutonium reprocessing at the UK's Sellafield site.
Tc-99,
>> with a
>> half-life of 213,000 years, remains in the environment effectively
>> forever.
>>
>> Levels of Tc-99 contamination in Norwegian seaweed were found to be
as
>> high as
>> 465 Bq/Kg, some 15 times levels found at the beginning of the 1990s.
>> This level is 3.75 times the Tc-99 contamination level found by the
>> Norwegian
>> Radiation Protection Authority in sampling in January of 1998. Tc-99
>> levels of 182Bq/kg and 53Bq/Kg were found in Swedish and Danish
seaweed
>> respectively.
>> These levels are greatly elevated over those which would have been
>> found
>> earlier in the decade but no current data for Tc-99 contamination has
>> been produced by Danish nor Swedish authorities.
>>
>> "This radioactive tide should make alarm bells ring throughout the
>> Nordic
>> countries," said Dima Litvinov of Greenpeace. "If we are to stop the
>> radioactive pollution from dangerously contaminating our seafood and
>> marine
>> resources, the governments of the region must take decisive action.
>> All
>> efforts must be taken to ban reprocessing discharges and stop Britain
>> and France from authorising additional discharges of nuclear waste
into
>> the sea and air."
>>
>> The Tc-99 contamination stems from 900% and 1100% increases granted
by
>> the UK
>> government for Sellafield's radioactive liquid and gaseous discharges
>> in preparation for the opening and operation of Sellafield's new
THORP