Re: British Radioactive Pollution

Dear Radsafers,

I calculated the other day that eating one kilo (kg, about 2.2 pounds)
of shrimp containing 0.54 Bq technetium/kg is about 570.000 times less
dangerous if converted into Sv (or rather nanoSv) than the dose from the
natural body content of K-40 one obtains in a year. The basis for this
calculation was ICRP67 (1993): 6.4E-10 Sv/Bq for an adult if I remember
right.

Nevertheless, some key politicians here in Sweden are afraid of
expressing anything clear to the public (like "this is a relatively
trivial problem"). We have a political election 3 months from now so the
politicians can be expected to maximize their actor's talents during
this period.

When looking at the numbers - be cautious about the distinction between
dry weight and wet weight. Furthermore - the highest concentrations were
in seaweed (Fucus serratus and Fucus vesiculosus) but these are not
consumed by people as far as I know - at least not because of its
radioactivity concentration....

Politics - Believe me: 10 years ago I was fighting with media and one
politician about krypton being different from freons - that particular
politician (center party) spoke in Swedish Parliament about the ozon
layer being destroyed by the nuclear power releases of krypton. When I
wrote to her about the difference between molecules and atoms/natural
elements she wrote a nasty letter back to me. Reading the Parliament
closely, I understood that she had also confused "radiative gases" and
"radioactive gases" (she had read - but probably not understood - a
document about the greenhouse effect). Guess that no one else noticed in
particular since most people don't dig into Parliament hearings (most
media here are more focused on Paula Jones, whether cellular phones boil
your brain or not and other types of info that "sell"). The
frewon-krypton confusion formed the basis for at least about 30
newspaper articles during the year that followed (I wrote 6-7 of them).
The original source (which the politician referred to) for the confusion
was a monthly "health magazine" that markets everything from carrots to
crystal and color healing and various New Age related remedies (no units
for "force" and "energy" there).

Well, all this was my personal ideas and may not necessarily reflect
those of my employer. Leaving for a biodosimetry conference in Obninsk,
Russia 12 hours from now so I will not be able to follow this for
another week or so.

Yours Sincerely,

Bjorn Cedervall, PhD
Dept. Medical Radiation Biology,