Forum Aimed at Reexamining Nuclear Energy

A positive step that is absolutely necessary. Let's hope for some success!

Friday June 19, 2:31 pm Eastern Time

SOURCE: Lockheed Martin

Senator Pete Domenici, Idaho Laboratory Host Forum Aimed at
Reexamining Nuclear Energy

WASHINGTON, June 19 /PRNewswire/ -- To help bring rational thought and
debate back into the nuclear arena, U.S. Senator Pete Domenici of New
Mexico, U.S. Senator Larry Craig of Idaho and the Idaho National
Engineering and Environmental Laboratory (INEEL) have teamed up to focus
the nation's leaders in the field on how to bring about renewed support
for nuclear energy in the United States.

They invited the nation's nuclear energy leaders to Washington, D.C.,
today to discuss the expected long-term need for environmentally clean
U.S. energy sources. Attendees to the meeting included managers of
electric power plants, related industry executives, university heads,
national laboratory experts, suppliers, Department of Energy officials and
other elected officials and staff members. ``I am convinced that our
nation must maintain a nuclear energy option for a time in the future when
fossil options become economically, environmentally or politically
limited,'' said Domenici. ``Nuclear power is the only emissions-free
electrical generating technology that is available as a major source for
meeting the electrical demands of this country today. ''In order to meet
the Clinton Administration's goals for reducing carbon emissions, we must
focus on emissions-free power sources,`` said Craig. ''My hope is that
this forum will help highlight the advantages of nuclear power and work to
convince the American people that nuclear power is safe, reliable and
environmentally beneficial.``

Following a series of speeches last fall by Domenici on the subject, the
idea for the forum was conceived in conversations between the senator's
staff and Dr. Bart Krawetz, director of the INEEL, where commercial
nuclear power technologies were originally developed and tested for this
country. The INEEL is a U.S. Department of Energy facility approximately
50 miles west of Idaho Falls.

``The revitalization of nuclear energy is critical to the environmental
future of this nation,'' said Krawetz, ``and it won't happen without
top-level support from our government and industry leaders. Senators
Domenici and Craig have been outstanding representatives for nuclear
energy, and we're proud to support them in this effort.''

With 20 percent of the nation's current electricity requirements supplied
by nuclear power and no new nuclear plant orders since the early 1970s,
the nation is headed for a potential energy and environmental crisis as
current reactors approach the end of their designed life expectancy. Most
of the nation's nuclear power plants currently have operating licenses
that will expire between 2005 and 2030. If these nuclear assets are
replaced with fossil-fueled electrical generation, U.S. carbon emissions
will increase more than 100 million metric tons per year, with potentially
serious environmental consequences.

``Most alternative energy options are limited in terms of technological
maturity and cost effectiveness,'' said Domenici. ``However, the zero
emissions nuclear option is virtually unlimited and needs to be part of
this country's overall energy strategy. Otherwise, the risks of falling
behind in this area threaten the very heart of what has made this country
great: technological leadership.''

Today's meeting included a broad look at where the country is today in
terms of nuclear technology. Breakout sessions developed strategies for
consideration by Domenici, Craig and other energy leaders to utilize in
revitalizing the nuclear option for the benefit of the nation. A final
report resulting from the forum will then be delivered to participants and
become the basis for a roadmap to the future in the nuclear industry.

This meeting focused attention on the importance of nuclear technology,
Domenici said. ``After almost 50 years of nuclear power generation, many
countries around the world have recognized it as a safe, clean and
efficient means of supplying their nations with electricity. It's time for
the United States to regain world technological leadership in this
arena.''

``It is a great honor for me to represent Idaho, the birthplace of
commercial nuclear power and home of one of the largest concentrations of
nuclear engineering expertise in the world,'' said Craig. ``The INEEL has
accomplished tremendous advancements in nuclear science over the last half
century, and I am excited it brought its expertise to the nation's capital
today to highlight the benefits of nuclear power. I recognize the
importance of a sustained focus on nuclear research and development for
energy production and wholeheartedly support this initiative.''

U.S. Senator Dirk Kempthorne and Idaho second-district U.S. Congressman
Mike Crapo joined Craig in his support of the objectives of the forum.

------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director
ICN Dosimetry Division
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Office: (800) 548-5100 x2306
Fax:    (714) 668-3111

sandyfl@earthlink.net
sperle@icnpharm.com

ICN Dosimetry Website:
http://www.dosimetry.com

Personal Website:

              - G. K. Chesterton -

The opinions expressed are solely, absolutely, positively, definitely those of the author, and NOT my employer