Re: Low level contamination in RAM shipment

The removable contamination limit for a package in transit is 2200 dpm/100
cm2
for beta-gamma radionuclides.  Thus, 300 dpm/100 cm2 is not a violation,
although I would notify the shipper.  There are no limits on internal
contamination.  Stating the wrong radionuclide on a shipping paper is a
violation of 49 CFR 172, but, to the best of my knowledge, it is not
reportable.  Again, I would notify the shipper. This situation, while not
reportable, clearly does not meet your expectations, and raises questions
regarding whether you should be doing business with this supplier,
especially
if he is not cooperative in identifying and correcting the errors that
resulted in this situation.

You wrote:

We received a RAM package with minor contamination (300 dpm/100 cm^2 above
> background (60 dpm)). This material was shipped as an excepted package and
did
> not require any label. Contamination was found inside and outside of the
> shipping box. Decontamination is completed.

The shipping document stated H-3 but the content was C-14.

I intend to call the shipper and let them know. Are there any action I
should
be
taking?  Are there any regulatory requirement? Thank you for your advice. M.
Jo

Myung Chul Jo, RSO
EH&S, Mail Stop 328
University of Nevada, Reno