Low level contamination in RAM shipment

	Mr. Joe,

	I (personally) would not do anything "formally".  I often (once or twice a
year) receive packages with this small amount of contamination, and
although it is an annoyance (big time), it is not illegal.  I usually just
call the supplier and verbally inform them of my displeasure.  This
"usually" takes care of the problem.  Some years ago when I worked at a
University, we had a supplier who had a problem with their trans-labeled
S-35 (it is VERY volatile). At times tens-of-thousands of CPM on the inside
of packages!  The manufacture was frustrated and embarrassed but grateful
that we did NOT do anything formally (they ended up sending us a LOT of
free product to make up for the inconvenience). Eventually they fixed their
problem by changing their packaging.

	If you DO decide to do something formally make sure that you have all of
YOUR "Ducks in order".  You will have to "prove" beyond a shadow of a doubt
that YOU did not contaminate the package or that the package was not
contaminated in shipment and the it was indeed C-14 (what if it is S-35
[very close in beta energy] - you would be VERY embarrassed!!!

	Over the years I too have made errors on shipments (screwed up a label or
shipped something exempt when it should have been a "I" and have
appreciated that the receiver just called me (to slap me on the wrist)
instead of taking formal action (it was embarrassing enough just to get the
phone call).  Eventually if you ship enough packages you're going to make
an error - everyone does...

	Call the shipper - give 'em Hell! - then drop it.

	Obviously just my own "personal" opinion,

	Joel Baumbaugh
	baumbaug@nosc.mil

>Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 02:07:11 -0500 (CDT)
>Sender: radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
>From: Mr Jo <mjo@scs.unr.edu>
>To: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
>Subject: Low level contamination in RAM shipment
>
>> We received a RAM package with minor contamination (300 dpm/100 cm^2 above
>> background (60 dpm)). This material was shipped as an excepted package
and did
>> not require any label. Contamination was found inside and outside of the
>> shipping box. Decontamination is completed.
>
>The shipping document stated H-3 but the content was C-14.
>
>I intend to call the shipper and let them know. Are there any action I
should be
>taking?  Are there any regulatory requirement? Thank you for your advice.
M. Jo