FLUFF stuff - Other glowing things

EEWWW....... then
HHMMM??????..........

Here's a copy of an article from one of my electronic news services.
It talks about the soon to be explored possibility of
"bioluminescent" food additives.  Even though it is considered
"natural" I'm still not sure it'll be too good for humans.  I'm not
sure I want my family to find out I've been the one raiding the
cookie jar.

*** Wide role for fishy light source?
Light-emitting enzymes from jellyfish and shrimp could be used to
make glow-in-the-dark cosmetics, beverages, yogurt and cake icing, a
team of scientists and doctors said Monday. Officials with Prolume
Ltd., of Pittsburgh, demonstrated their "bioluminescent" additives at
an exposition sponsored by the Institute of Food Technologists in
Atlanta. The company said it has cloned the genes which make sea
creatures glow, creating light-emitting proteins which could also be
used to make cancer cells or tumors visible. Prolume President Gene
Finley said the proteins are safe for use as a food colorant because
they are made from natural sources found in marine life. (Reuters)

Now here's our chance to really glow.

Bernadette Baca
TDH - Bureau of Radiation Control
Uranium Licensing Project
1100 West 49th
Austin, TX 78756 - 3189
(512) 834 - 6688  ext: 2206

-My supervisor has not read or approved this message,
much less agrees with my point of view.  Therefore, use at your own risk and humor.

mailto:Bernadette.Baca@tdh.state.tx.us

"Beneath this chaos is a really big mess." - Jim Davis