Re: Monitoring of UN2910 Packages

	Tad, I really can't find anything that states you must swipe a package
upon receipt. But 49CFR 173.443a deals with the package as its offered for
transport and mentions ALARA. 173.421 describes UN2910 Excepted Packages.
So maybe we swipe the outside of the packages when we receive them to see
if ALARA has been met?? Just a thought.
Here at UC Davis we not only swipe the outside but, the primary vial as
well. We have been doing this for years and the campus seems to appreciate it.

	Bob

At 01:25 PM 6/23/98 -0500, you wrote:
>RADSAFERs,
>
>Can someone give me a reference (Title 49CFR or some other FedReg) that
>requires  the recipient of a UN2910 package to monitor it upon receipt?
>
>(I am familiar with the reference for "licensed" material in 10CFR20.1906)
>

>************************** /^\   /^\ ***********************************
>Tad  Blanchard            /__ \ /___\   NASA-Goddard Space Flight Center
>Nat'l Health Svc, Inc          O         Code 205.9, Greenbelt, MD 20771
>Sr Health Physics Tech        / \                    Phone: 301-286-9157
>Assistant RSO                /___\                   Fax:   301-286-1618
>                 mailto:Tad.M.Blanchard.1@GSFC.NASA.gov
>        http://panza.gsfc.nasa.gov/205/205-2/Health/RADPROT.HTM

Robert L. Sarason
EH&S TB