HPS 1999 Midyear Meeting

>To: "ograabe@ucdavis.edu"<ograabe@ucdavis.edu>
>From: "HPS Headquarters"<HPS@BurkInc.com>
>Subject: HPS 1999 Midyear Meeting
>Date: 01 Jul 98 3:44:35 AM
>
>32nd Midyear Meeting of the Health Physics Society - Stockpile Stewardship
and Isotope production, Applications, and Consumption

>The Rio Grande Chapter of the Health Physics Society is hosting the 1999
Health Physics Society Midyear Symposium, to be held January 24-27, 1999 in
Albuquerque, New Mexico.  The Local Arrangements (LAC) and Program
Committees are interested in hearing from the officers, executive
committees, and members of the particular sections identified below to
coordinate topical morning or afternoon sessions.  The topical sessions
will allow these sections to address particular applications that
incorporate the Midyear topics.

>Accelerator Section
>Governmental Section
>Medical Health Physics Section
>Power Reactor Section
>RSO Section
>
>Because the Chapter is interested in expanding the format, the abstract
deadline has been extended to Thursday, July 23, 1998.  The program will
still consist of both oral and poster sessions.  The LAC and Program
Committees encourage you to submit an abstract, and will assist you in
organizing a particular session.

>For your information, the following technical sessions are currently planned:
>
>Topic 1 - Creation and Future Legacy of Stockpile Stewardship
>I. Policies, Historical Aspects, and Buildup of the "Stockpile"
>II. Defining our Boundaries - What is Stockpile Stewardship? (Commercial
and DOE Health Physics Perspectives, Weapons, Spent Nuclear Fuel)
>III. Environmental Restoration - The First Step of Stockpile Stewardship
(UMTRA - Beginning the Cycle, FUSRAP, SFMP, Abandoned Mine Lands (AML)
Program)
>IV. Current "Stockpile" and Weapons Dismantlement Activities
(Manufacturing and Surveillance, Materials and Processing Technologies,
Stabilization and Disposition, Management and Disposition of
Highly-Enriched U and Pu, Use of MOX Fuel In Commercial Nuclear Power
Stations, Recycle and Reuse)
>V. Management and Disposition of Spent Fuel (Commercial Spent Fuel,
DOE/Nuclear Navy Spent Fuel)
>VI. Life-Cycle Costing Associated with the "Linear-No Threshold" vs.
"Threshold" Theory - Technical Risks (Relevancy of Non-Risk-Based
Regulations) - Economic Risks (Operational Costs Associated with Health
Physics Programs) - Societal Risks
>VII. Future NRC Oversight of DOE/DOD Facilities
>
>Topic 2 - Isotope Production, Applications, and Consumption
>I. Policies, Historical Aspects, and Benefits Associated with Isotope
Utilization
>II. Isotope Production (Accelerator-Produced Isotopes, Tritium, Medical
Radioisotopes, Reactor-Produced Isotopes, Portable PET Isotope Production,
Cyclotron-Produced Isotopes, Positron Emitters)
>III. Irradiation and Sterilization Facilities (Design and Layout, Handling
Sources)
>III. Applications and Consumption (Magnetic Resonance Imaging, Health
Effects from Non-Ionizing Radiation, Heat Generation, Geology, Stable
Isotope Utilization, Oceanography, Medical, Thermoelectric Generators,
Satellites and Other Space Applications)

>If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call us at your
earliest convenience.  We look forward to your participation.

>James M. Hylko
>Local Arrangements Co-Chair
><JHylko@msn.com>
>Phone: 505-284-3081
>Fax: 505-284-2105
>
>Randy Slayer
>Local Arrangements Co-Chair
><rlsalye@sandia.gov>
>Phone:  505-844-9056
>Fax:  505-844-7233
>
>Robert Monsalve-Jones
>Program Co-Chair
><rmjones@itcrp.com>
>Phone:  505-662-1216
>Fax:  505-662-1222

>If you would like to be removed from the HPS email distribution list,
please hit reply and let us know.

		Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP
                [President, Health Physics Society, 1997-1998]
		Institute of Toxicology & Environmental Health (ITEH)
		     (Street address: Old Davis Road)
		University of California, Davis, CA 95616
		Phone: 530-752-7754  FAX: 530-758-6140 [NEW AREA CODE]
		E-mail ograabe@ucdavis.edu