Re: NIH: Electric fields pose cancer risk

Glenn: Thanks for your note. This was out in local Swedish media last
Tuesday ("ELECTRICITY FIELDS CAN CAUSE CANCER" - a Swedish scientist
with interest in molecular biology was involved).

This is contrasting a lot of other information (the issue is actually
about _magnetic_ fields). Any more info about the background (copy-paste
from any original source?) would be greatly appreciated. Other US
scientists (13 professors in physics, chemistry and medicine including
six Nobel Laureates) have concluded that nothing links magnetic fields
to cancer. The Editorial of New England J. Medicine

(www.nejm.???), July 3, 1997 is a worthy reading.

There are a lot of negative ("EMF") reports that get little or no
attention at all. Some of the confusion is about whether we are dealing
with "associations" or "cause-effects".

When it comes to molecular biology and cell experiments, I think the
magnetite issue has received too little attention (See Kobayashi and
Kirschvink, Nature, Febr. 1995). Magnetite occurs "naturally" in the
laboratory equipment and media like the Gibco RPMI 1640 (widely used in
biol. experiments) and is readily engulfed by lymphocytes. The bottom
line is that a lot of research money probably already has been wasted. I
asked one "very involved person" (in the BEMS - Bioelectromagnetics
Society) about how they exclude magnetite as a contributing cause of
their (positive) molecular biology experiments. The answer from this
person was approx.: "We don't believe that magnetite is a problem and
therefore do not bother about it. It can probably be seen as a dead end
today." The magnetite issue has been known, at least since 1993
(according to an EPRI report) and still this person continues to publish
articles like the magnetite question didn't exist.

Sincerely Yours,

bjorn_cedervall@hotmail.com

Dept. Medical Radiation Biology,

Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden

>Uranium Institute News Briefing 98.26

>[NB98.26-18] A panel of US experts has concluded that electricity
pylons and

>power lines do pose a cancer risk. After 10 days of discussions and

>consideration of evidence, 19 out of 28 members of a panel of the
National

>Institutes of Health voted that electric fields should be considered
possible

>human carcinogens; eight of the dissenters were undecided about whether
a link