Re: Shipping Violation

I hadn't thought of the possibility of tritium gas, although it seems
unlikely
that the tritium would be only gas.  It seems that at least some of it would
be dissolved in the pump lubricant.  Also, if the tritium is gas, it
represents a special hazard.  Assuming the pump is properly sealed, so that
the tritium doesn't leak out in transit, the receiver would be in for a big
surprise when he starts it up.  From the information given, the pump was
shipped "limited quantity", not "instruments or articles".

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@detroitedison.com

You wrote:

If the pump contained tritium gas then the limits  are for the package 2 X
10
-1 A2.  If the pump is considered instrument or article then the limits 2 X
10
-2 A2. This shows that we need more information about the determination
used to classify the shipment.  1080 Curies  x  2 X 10 -2 A2 for Tritium gas
is much
different than 1080 Curies X 10 -3 A2 for normal form solids.

Alan R. Marchand
Las Vegas, NV
radarm@accessnv.com