RE: Re: Radiation Shielding Windows

Dave, Ernie, Sandy, et.al.

Maybe something has happened in the years since I last was involved in
designing shielding.  However, searching my memory, I don't remember any
shielding computer code that had an input parameter of "HVL" ( or, for
that matter, "TVL").  As I recall, you start with a source term and the
maximum dose you want at some other point, and determine how thick a
given shielding material or combination of materials must be to achieve
the dose reduction.  Maybe on the back of an envelope you use HVL or TVL
to assure yourself that the computer code is working properly, but it
was never, in my experience, part of the actual shielding design
calculation.

For those of us who "know a lot of stuff", our primary responsibility,
as I see it, is mentoring those who don't know what we know.  I would
hope that in the future, when someone says, "I don't know what this
means.", the first response on RADSAFE says, "This is what it means."

Just my personal perspective, of course.

Les Aldrich
l_k_ii_les_aldrich@rl.gov