RE: Re: Radiation Shielding Windows

You prompted me to get out my copy of Cember and check, and it was about
the way I recalled it; the intermediate calculation  usually ended up as
HVL, and was converted from there.  It would be just as valid to perform
the calculation the other way around, but that's how I learned it.

And come to think of it he may have been familiar with the concept and
not the name; for most of my field career, the phrase used was 'tenth
thicknesses' not 'tenth (or half) value layer'.  And that was the basis
of field calculations for temporary shielding - the shielding blankets
used were, as I recall, approximately equal to a tenth thickness for the
MeV most commonly found in that environment.

So I guess it's a matter of what you're used to.

Dave Neil
neildm@id.doe.gov