Re: EMF and cancer

The NIH panel reached certain conclusions in its assessment of the cancer
risks from EMF.  Mr. Baker disagrees with those conclusions and suggests
(rather unambiguously) that the panel biased its assessment to justify a call
for more funding of its members for research.  Mr. Goldin states that such
calls are just "part of the game," but confuses merely calling for more
funding (probably okay) with misrepresenting data to justify a call for
funding (definitely not okay).

It is not the possibility that the panel is biased that is disturbing.  One
can be biased and still objectively evaluate the evidence.  In fact, one can
be biased and still make honest mistakes in judgment.  Rather, what's
disturbing is the accusation that the panel would ignore or distort evidence
in furtherance of that bias.

In my opinion the NIH panel, its conclusions, Mr. Baker's opinions, and Mr.
Goldin's observations are worthy of discussion within RADSAFE, which is what
we are doing.  I don't understand what about this discussion makes you
incredulous or who has been disparaged other than the NIH panelists.

Glenn
GACMail98@aol.com

In a message dated 98-07-08 11:52:43 EDT, Steven.Rima@DOEGJPO.COM (Steven