RE: Drinking water standards

It is my understanding that the MCLs for drinking water will not be relaxed.
Even though FG-13 would support relaxing nearly 90 % of these limits.  The
reason given to my by EPA HQ is that for LEGAL reasons they can not
change the limits.

This was based on how the law was written.  Apparently the law congress
passed stated new limits can not be less restrictive.  HQ was worried that
realigning the limits could be interpreted as being less restrictive; even
though the calculated risk would be the same.  They were worried about
being sued.

Another case of political B.S. getting in the way of science.

Mark P. Winslow
US EPA - Region II
winslow.mark@epamail.epa.gov