Re: Time Definitions

     This issue has come up around here recently (last several months) with
     respect to Radiation Monitoring Equipment (RME).  The Facility's
     Operations Safety Requirements (OSRs) generally give an extension of
     25% for perforance of surveillances.  The generic TSR's I've seen for
     Westinghouse Power Reactors give a 25% extension on almost all time
     periods (except where explicitly stated otherwise).

     Our experience here was that the RME control procedures did not allow
     for an extension, requiring completion of yearly calibrations by the
     end of the month that they were calibrated in the previous year.
     However, the same RME procedures also allowed for RME included in the
     OSRs to take credit for the OSR surveillances and calibrations.

     After some discussion, it was concluded that if RME was controlled by
     the OSR program, then the OSR 25% extension was allowed; but, if the
     equipment was not OSR controlled, the time provisions in the RME
     procedure were the applicable ones.

     The point of the above is that it depends on how your procedures are
     written.  AFAIK, there is no "standard definition" of time limits and
     I've seen multiple variations on how "yearly" is defined, depending on
     what and where run across it.  Our RME procedure defines "yearly"
     based on months and our OSR's define "yearly" as 365 days with (in
     some cases) and allowable extension of 25%.

     Jeff King
     Facility Representative
     In-Tank Precipitation Facility
     Savannah River Operations Office