Re: Co-60 Chemical Comp.

Radsafers,

We have a Co-60 pipe source that we are moving.  It has been inside
another canister, aluminum we think,  for the past 30 years.  We need
to remove it from this canister in order to transfer it to another
shielded container.

Does anyone have information as to the chemical composition of the
Co-59 when it is irradiated to make Co-60?  Is it pure Co-59 or a
mixture of metals?  Should we expect to see some oxidation?
("flaking" and potential contamination &/or airborne concerns)

Any references or information would be appreciated.
Feel free to reply directly to me.
Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,
Patrick J. McDermott