Re: Co-60 Chemical Comp.

Thirty years ago we used to make high specific activity cobalt-60 for the
Navy at GE Vallecitos.  The cobalt was pure metal in cylindrical pieces
less tha .5mm x.5mm.  These were encapsulated in aluminum canisters and
then shuttled thru the reactor core until the desired activity was
attained.  One or more of the canisters leaked and Co-60 entered to reactor
cooling system and was very difficult to collect.  Other canisters were
repackaged in the hot cells and some of the tiny pellets fell between the
cell floor seams into the basement.  I remember checking for these with a
teletector and collecting these with a magnet on a pole.  Dose rates were
extremely high (10 minute stay times) and the pellets were esentially
invisible to the naked eye.

You might want to find out who manufactured your source and get some
manufacturing information.  You could be opening up Pandora's box.

Doug Turner <dwturners@earthlink.net>