Shipping from Australia

Barb,

> The collaborator was advised that FedEx doesn't transport radioactive
> samples.
     Incorrect

> Upon my contacting them and inquiring about limited quantity shipments
> for research purposes, I was advised that they do not ship DG's out of
> Australia because they use commercial aircraft.
     Not totally  correct.   FedEx flies FedEx aircraft to Melbourne and
     Sydney.   From Melbourne  and Sydney  packages are  distributed  by
     other ground  and air  carriers.   Contractual arrangements  do not
     permit dangerous  goods to  be transferred  to or  from these other
     carriers.

FedEx can  and does  transport radioactive material packages to and from
Melbourne and  Sydney.   Such packages  can be  accepted directly at the
FedEx airport locations in Melbourne and Sydney.  Freight forwarders can
be used  to pick  up  radioactive  material  packages  from  or  deliver
radioactive material  packages to  the FedEx airport locations.  This is
called Freight Services as opposed to International Priority Services.

Postal:   The simple  way to view radioactive material in the mail is to
meet the  requirements for  an excepted  package -  limited quantity  of
material where  the activity  is not greater than 0.1 of the activity in
the limited quantity table.

Roy A. Parker, Ph.D.
Radiation Physics Consultant to
Federal Express Corporation
E-Mail: 70472.711@compuserve.com
Tel: 504-924-1473
Fax: 504-924-4269
------------( Forwarded computer archived letter follows )------------
    16-Jul-98 11:57 CDT
Sb: Need assistance shipping material from Australia
From: Barb Flook <bflook@asrr.arsusda.gov>

Hi all -

Does anyone have suggestions for getting a limited
quantity package (0.2mCi of H-3) shipped out of Australia?

One of our scientists is trying to obtain some material
from a collaborator in Australia.  We tried FedEx
but that appears to be a no go.  (The collaborator
was advised that FedEx doesn't transport radioactive
samples.  Upon my contacting them and inquiring
about limited quantity shipments for research purposes,
I was advised that they do not ship DG's out of Australia
because they use commercial aircraft).

We're now looking at just sending it via the Postal
Service but not sure how expedient this route will be.
I've just ordered a copy of the International Mail Manual
to see what, if anything, we'll be up against.

Suggestions??

Barb Flook

USDA, Beltsville Agricultural Research Center
Beltsville Area RSO

mailto:  bflook@asrr.arsusda.gov
     fax:  (301) 504-6520
 voice:  (301) 504-5557