Re: Co-60 Chemical Comp.

Patrick J. McDermott wrote in part:

'Does anyone have information as to the chemical composition of the
Co-59 when it is irradiated to make Co-60?  Is it pure Co-59 or a
mixture of metals?  Should we expect to see some oxidation?
("flaking" and potential contamination &/or airborne concerns)'

Until 1989 we fabricated C0-60 sources for med. therapy inside of our
hot-cell shielding. Therefore two types of Co-60 were used. Both in metal
conditions. One type was granulated wire with a dimension of about 1 mm. The
granulated Co-60 particles were very difficult to locate when lost inside
the cells.
The other type were small discs of approx. 20 mm diameter.

Best regards

Peter Hewing
Radiation Protection of
Siemens Karlstein