Re: Co-60 Chemical Comp. -Reply

Doug,

We always used to joke about having living/mobile sources because of the
utterly enormous (2"+) cockroaches we had at the U of Maryland reactor, but
I have to say hats off to you for this one.  Of course, you could look at
this as another means of rad waste disposal.  I can see the inspector's
face now as you say: "Well, sir/madam, we have these trained cockroaches..."

Scott Kniffin

mailto:Scott.D.Kniffin.1@gsfc.nasa.gov
RSO, Unisys Corp. @ Lanham, MD
CHO, Radiation Effects Facility, GSFC, NASA, Greenbelt, MD

The opinions expressed here are my own.  They do not necessarily represent
the views of Unisys Corporation or NASA.  This information has not been
reviewed by my employer or supervisor.
At 14:53 07/16/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Patrick,
>I worked in the Ga Tech reactor a number of years back and before the
large Co-60 sources (that were maintained in a "hot cell" for integrity
checks of apparati) were encapsulated, they displayed significant "flaking"
or spalling.  As a matter of fact, we couldn't figure how those flakes were
getting out of the hot cell until we spotted  a cockroach carrying one
across the floor.  That's when it was decided that the sources had to be
encapsulated.